Morel mushrooms are one of several edible wild mushrooms. They are plentiful in our forest’s burn areas. Morels look like little sponges and they are tasty little morsels. Our favorite breakfast recipes include sauteed morels over toast with scrambled eggs on the side and this one for Morel and Egg Pie.
Morel and Egg Pie
1/2 pound bacon
1/4 pound sliced morel mushrooms
2 tablespoons shallots — finely chopped
1 red, yellow or orange pepper — cored, seeded and diced
4 ounces goat or feta cheese — crumbled
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese — grated
1 teaspoon fresh thyme — chopped
6 large eggs
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the bacon until crisp, drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of bacon grease. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
- Lightly saute the mushrooms and shallots in the reserved bacon grease.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 10 inch pie plate with no-stick cooking spray.
- Transfer the mushrooms and shallots to the prepared pie plate. Crumble the bacon on top and add the pepper,cheeses and thyme.
- Whisk the eggs lightly, stir in the cream. Season to taste. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and cheese. This recipe may be prepared to this point and refrigerated overnight.
- Bake until set and nicely browned, about one hour. Remove from the oven and allow to set 10 minutes before slicing.