Chocolate and Coconut Cream Scones
Makes 8-12 scones
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
2 cups pastry flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup shredded coconut, toasted, and additional for topping
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1 egg + 1 Tablespoon milk for egg wash
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast the conconut stirring and taking care not to burn. When the coconut is golden and toasted, set aside to cool completely.
3. In a measuring cup, mix together the cream and vanilla. Set aside.
4. Whisk together the egg and milk. Set aside.
5. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Work in the chilled butter quickly with your fingertips, rubbing the butter into the flour until the butter bits are no larger than small peas. Toss the coconut and chips into the mixture and combine. Bring the dough together by folding gently. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead together 8 to 10 times. When the dough has just come together, pat it into a 1 inch thick circle. Cut into 8-12 wedges and place on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops of each scone with egg wash and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Bake in the center of the oven for 10-13 minutes or until tops and bottoms are just golden and scones are baked through.